Friday 25 October 2013

Week 10 - The Week that Went in a Flash

As the saying goes, "Time flies when you're having fun." If this is true, then this week I must've been having far too much fun.

This week I was able to really get to grips with the classes that I'll be teaching after half term. I was introduced to multiple key staff and the classes I'll be helping out with, and I feel that my presence is starting to be more noticeable -  even welcomed -  in classes and around the school as a whole. It's been packed with meetings, lessons, class profiles, seating plans and - possibly my favourite thing - finding and creating content to teach next term. It's been handy to have 'free time' to reflect and prepare as it gets us into a position where we are fully equipped with as much knowledge as possible of our pupils abilities and will allow us to anticipate differentiation and individual requirements... well, it does on paper anyway. Trying to remember names is hard enough, let alone all of the individual requirements of each pupil. 

Surely this will come in time?

Speaking of pupils, it was incredibly eye-opening to see how pupils of any age can show determination and a willingness to learn. In some instances the opposite was glaringly evident: a complete disaffection and lack of understanding towards the importance of education. The teachers I will be working with all have their own techniques in combatting the latter and improving the former, and I hope that I can mimic (if not, perhaps, improve upon) some of these skills. 

A first meeting with my coach also gave me time to reflect upon my learning and observations so far and what I could improve upon in the next term. My goals for this are assertiveness and improving my 'meerkat skills' (e.g. being able to focus on one pupil but have complete awareness of my surroundings at the same time). It's funny how I can feel in command of a group or class as soon as I'm into the swing of things, but getting over that first hurdle of introduction is a real block for me, even though in these instances I'm the adult and need to take control. I guess it's still sinking in that now I'm the one at the front of the class, instead of waiting for someone else to come along and take my place.

Maybe I'm scared that if I'm too assertive I'll give off the wrong impression, or my emotional intelligence will be compromised and I'll appear as aggressive rather than assertive? If anyone reading knows of some good techniques or books on this subject, I'd be grateful!

In terms of subject knowledge, I'm confident with my French. I know what I'l be teaching and to what level I need to gauge it (which, if anything, needs to be more challenging than I originally thought!) but my Spanish will be the biggest challenge. As I have been given a Y11 group to team teach, the pressure is off slightly but the group will be expecting big things from me, so it's time to really get to grips with more Spanish before Term 2 starts!

Whereas my fully-qualified counterparts will be deservedly relaxing next week, it doesn't stop for us trainees. We'll be back in Uni and no doubt regaling one another with what we've seen in our various schools and probably discussing the veritable roller-coaster of emotions that will be next term!

- - - - - - - - - -

Last weeks goals were to:

  • Submit my essay - One more read-through (tonight!) and it'll be done!
  • Complete admin tasks for Placement A - Nearly all folders up-to-date, just need to work on class profiles a little more
  • Build and maintain relationships - Getting better. Again, I need to work on my assertiveness.
My three achievements of this week were:
  • Teaching my first class and receiving some really useful feedback
  • Feel as though the paperwork side of the course is starting to really take shape
  • Being able to maintain a good life-work balance
As I am now going through a transition between University and teaching, I will not create any new targets until I have finished Week 1 of Placement A.

No comments:

Post a Comment