Thursday 30 January 2014

Data, Diversity, Double-checking and Delving into the World of Employment

The post-Christmas stint back at University has been very welcomed. Lots of information to mull over, chances to flex our brains in various ways, time to relax and panic (a little!) and I think we're all prepped for our next placement.

Lectures and experiences in data management and diversity have really got me excited about the 'other parts' of being a teacher. I'm no maths buff (a.k.a. 'mathlete') but I'm pretty nimble around an Excel spreadsheet, and my experiences of school have shown me that inclusion is something that really needs to be focussed on. From a personal perspective, the LGBT areas are ones that need support (come on, now, using 'gay' as an adjective to describe something negatively is so 1990s!) and I would very much like to offer my support wherever possible.

We've all completed our Masters-level assignment, too! I'm hoping that it gets me a pass at M-level as the guidance was a little bit contradictory, but only time will tell. The nice thing about this was, as I handed the assignment in 4 days before deadline, I was able to offer my assistance to others that were finding the project difficult and non-native speakers of English who wanted their language double-checking. It was nice to be called upon and to be able to help!

The only thing worrying me, more than anything possibly in my life right now, is what the future of my teaching career holds. I'm about to start a placement with a team and in a school that I'd more than happily want to work in as an NQT and beyond, but in reality, the job scene in Bristol for MFL teachers right now seems... well, non-existent. I, like several others on the School Direct course, are nervous as we thought that the SD route included employment at the end of the year, but it seems as though we may have all misinterpreted this.

I know it's only January, but it already feels scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment